Am I eligible for tax credits when I contribute to the Fonds de solidarité FTQ?

As a general rule, if you earn income and are between 18 and 44 years of age, you are eligible for tax credits. If you are between 45 and 64 years of age and report work income but no retirement income, you are eligible to receive tax credits.

However, if you are between 45 and 64 years of age, you may receive retirement income (pension fund annuities, QPP retirement pensions, etc.). If this is your situation, labour-sponsored fund tax credits are granted only if you declare employment income (gross amount) or business income (net amount) of $3,501 or more, provided you have not redeemed labour-sponsored fund shares due to retirement or disability.

You are no longer entitled to tax credits as of the year you turn 65.

Redeeming labour-sponsored fund shares:

  • Tax credits are no longer granted as of the year you redeem labour-sponsored fund shares for your retirement or phased retirement.
  • If you redeemed labour-sponsored fund shares due to severe or long-term disability, you are no longer eligible for tax credits on any shares you acquired after the date of the redemption request.
  • Tax credits will not be eligible for shares you redeem within a maximum of 60 days following their acquisition date.
Legal Notes
The preceding is a summary of the principal tax implications affecting shareholders of the Fonds de solidarité FTQ. It does not constitute a tax or legal opinion for a given shareholder and you should not consider it as such. Tax consequences may vary according to your situation.

You are responsible for ensuring that your subscriptions to the Fonds de solidarité FTQ are eligible for tax credits and RRSP-related deductions. Please refer to the prospectus for more details.
The Fonds de solidarité FTQ's shareholders will receive 15% in tax credits from the Québec government and 15% from the federal government. They are capped at $1,500 per fiscal year, which represents a $5,000 purchase of shares of the Fonds de solidarité FTQ.
Under federal legislation, a federal tax credit is only granted if you are also entitled to a Quebec tax credit. For more information, contact the Canada Revenue Agency at 1 800 959-7383.