10 activities to do this summer in Québec
Make the most of your summer holidays with these activities!
Article published on 2020-06-29 | Updated on 2023-06-14
Don't worry—there are lots of ways to enjoy your holidays in Québec this summer. Use your time off to take a break, get some fresh air, get some exercise, try new things, and enjoy all that Québec has to offer! It'll be a chance to discover the world around you, even while staying close to home, and to support the local economy.
01 Lace up your boots and hit the trails
Hiking spots can be found throughout the province. All you have to do is grab the right footwear and pick a trail to your liking. Here are some tips to make your experience even better!
- If you're just starting out, choose shorter trails with less elevation gain.
- Don't forget to bring plenty of water and nutritious snacks.
- Wear comfy shoes with ankle support and good grip.
- Dress in light, breathable layers.
02 Discover Québec by bike
If you're more into travelling on two wheels than on your own two feet, hop on your trusty ride and explore Québec in a different way. Here are a few routes to check out.
- The Route Verte is the most extensive cycling network in North America (spanning 5,300 km), providing marked routes through unique landscapes suited to cyclists of all levels.
- The national parks provide access to more than 700 km of bicycle paths for all levels.
- Québec's mountains and national parks also feature more than 2,500 km of groomed trails, perfect for adrenaline junkies who enjoy the thrill of mountain biking.
- King's Road, the Townships Trail, and the Summit Drive are beautiful routes that you can do by bike or car.
- If you enjoy local products, La Route des vins, Le Circuit Terre et Mer, La Véloroute des Bleuets and the Au pays des canneberges route might be of interest to you.
03 Get off the beaten path on an ATV
This unique activity has many fans and can be enjoyed on multiple paths in controlled zones (ZECs). If you're new, to the sport, keep in mind that to ride on federated trails, you must have a trail permit.
04 Go fishing
National parks allow day fishing, and the outfitters are open. Many waterways in the province are also available if you want to cast your line there. In Québec, you can fish for a variety of species (link in French), including rainbow trout, landlocked salmon, smallmouth bass, northern pike, Arctic char, and yellow perch.
To introduce your kids to fishing, Pêche QC has a complete guide (link in French).
05 Practise your golf swing
Québec is full of beautiful golf courses where you can practise your swing. Get a good set of clubs, be patient, visit the course of your choice, and remember to follow proper golf course etiquette! Golf Québec has 323 member courses You can also play on public golf courses (link in French) throughout the province.
06 Stretch your legs playing tennis
A racket, a few new balls, tennis shoes, a court, and an opponent—that's all you need. Anyone can play tennis! In Montréal, there are several courts available for free practice. Check with your municipality to find out where the courts are located and how to access them.
07 Explore Québec by water in a kayak or canoe
Admire nature from a fresh perspective. All regions of Québec have hidden gems (link in French) for canoeing, whether on lakes or rivers. Discover places you couldn't otherwise get to! Sépaq also offers waterways you can paddle along by canoe or kayak where, if you're lucky, you might spot some local wildlife. Rental services, however, are not available at this time.
08 Reconnect with nature by camping
09 Go to the drive-in
Québec's five drive-in theatres (Orford, Saint-Eustache, Saint-Hilaire, Chandler, and Val-Morin) will be screening films all summer long, starting at sunset.
10 Take in some art at a museum
Discover some 270 museums throughout the province that provide learning opportunities, a change of scenery, a taste of culture, and air-conditioning!
We hope that these ideas for activities you can do on your own, as a couple, or as a family will help you have fun and enjoy your staycation. After all, Québec has something for everyone!