I'm almost 71. What should I do with my RRSP+?

Since the year you turn 71 is the legal deadline for holding an RRSP, you have decisions to make. We want to be there for you during this new chapter in your life. Follow our guide to learn more about the options available to you.

Understanding the legal provisions

Your RRSP matures on December 31 of the year you turn 71. Do you know why?


The time has come to pay taxes

It's time to switch from savings mode to income mode. You knew one day you'd have to pay taxes on the money you've saved and which has been tax sheltered for many years.

Seeing taxes in a positive light

Taxes are more than just a remittance; they're designed to maintain solidarity and create value in Quebec. In this way, taxes serve you in the end.

Choosing the right option

Before choosing to convert your RRSP to a RRIF* or redeem** it, you must ask yourself a few questions. Perhaps the answer is already clear for you. If it isn't, though, now's the time to give the matter some thought.


Over the years, have you accumulated a small or large portfolio?

The value of your RRSP can be a good starting point to shine light on the options available to you.

Do you need to access your savings now?

Having a bit extra available at the end of the month is always good for your finances.

Do you plan to carry out a particular project with this money?

Indulging yourself or your family with a modest lump-sum is well deserved after all these years.


*A Registered Retirement Income Fund (RRIF) is the logical extension of an RRSP and allows you to continue to optimize your retirement savings.
**By redeeming your RRSP, you benefit immediately from all the savings accumulated in it.

Get personalized support

Choosing the right option may seem complicated. Let us guide you, so you make a choice that best suits your needs.


01 - Talk to one of our agents

Our Saving Services agents are committed to supporting you in this new chapter in your life. Call us. After getting answers to just a few questions, you’ll know what to do.

02 - Receive only the forms you need

To make the administrative process as clear as possible, we’ll only send you the forms that correspond to the option you choose.

The FlexiFonds offering is the logical extension of your Fonds experience


It's possible to stay invested in the Fonds family with the FlexiFonds offering. It offers Fonds savers a variety of savings vehicles and products tailored to various investor profiles and savings goals.

Learn more about the FlexiFonds offering

Want more information about the RRIF?

Give us a call, and let's talk about your plan!

Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.

  • Information

    All the information and data provided on this site are for information purposes only and are not intended to provide advice on your personal investment situation or investment, financial, legal, accounting or tax recommendations based on a specific personal situation. Although they are deemed reliable, no representation or warranty, express or implied, is made as to the accuracy, quality or completeness of this information and data. The opinions expressed should not be construed as a solicitation or offer to purchase or sell the units referred to herein and should not be viewed as a recommendation. We recommend you consult your legal advisor.

    FlexiFonds de solidarité FTQ Inc.

    The FlexiFonds are distributed solely in Québec by FlexiFonds de solidarité FTQ Inc. a mutual fund dealer wholly owned by the Fonds de solidarité FTQ. FlexiFonds de solidarité FTQ inc. does not distribute any other mutual funds. Please consult your advisor and read the prospectus and fund facts before making an investment. The FlexiFonds are not insured by the Canada Deposit Insurance Corporation or any other government deposit insurer or by the Autorité des marchés financiers. The mutual funds are not guaranteed, their values change frequently, and past performance may not be repeated.


    FlexiFonds, FlexiFonds Conservative, FlexiFonds Balanced and FlexiFonds Growth and the other trademarks displayed on this site are registered trademarks of the Fonds de solidarité FTQ. Other companies' trademarks are used with permission or under license. All rights reserved. Trademark references on this site should not be construed as an implied authorization to use such trademarks.

    Access and site availability

    The site is the property of Fonds de solidarité FTQ. By using the site, you agree to the following terms of use. You acknowledge and agree that the Fonds de solidarité FTQ may restrict, suspend or revoke your access to or use of all or part of the site, including links to third party sites, at any time, with or without cause, in its absolute discretion, without notice or liability. The Fonds de solidarité FTQ does not guarantee that this site will be available and meet your requirements or that access to this site will be uninterrupted. Availability downtime may occur at any time, without notice, including downtime required for maintenance or technical reasons.