Following is a summary of these guidelines
- 1. With respect to governance and responsible management, mining companies must ensure that:
- Employees at all levels understand their environmental and social responsibilities and contribute to improving their work environment;
- All projects are planned, evaluated and managed rigorously to reduce the negative impact on the environment and local communities.
- 2. With respect to responsible management, they must establish proactive, open and transparent communications with local authorities (including Native communities), government agencies and other stakeholders.
- 3. They undertake to diligently apply, in all their exploration activities, occupational health and safety regulations.
- 4. They must diligently apply, in all their exploration activities, environmental regulations.
- 5. On the socio-economic front, they must ensure to generate, as far as possible, local economic spinoffs and contribute to local development through constructive partnerships with Native and non-Native communities, while respecting the specific interests of each community.